Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Monday, July 12, 2004

I love rock & roll...

And that’s why I have a problem with Britney Spears and her ilk. This weekend my beloved and I were at the local pool hall. At one point, Britney’s cover of “I Love Rock & Roll” played on the TV set devoted to playing videos. Now, I am a child of the 80s, so Joan Jett’s version of that song is pretty much the standard for me. So naturally, I had to wonder if JJ has seen Britney’s version, and if she actually vomited while watching it. I mean, honestly, Britney wouldn’t know grit if it got between her perfect teeth. Her version is so synthetic, so utterly un-rocklike, that it’s hard to imagine why she bothered. Britney didn’t look tough writhing around on that motorcycle in the video. She just looked ... stupid.

A little while later, they played Christina Aguilera's "Dirty". I presume it was the editted version, because I couldn't really see what all the fuss was about--it seemed to be pretty standard MTV fare to me. What struck me, though, is that Christina has ten times the vocal talent that Britney has, and yet seems to be stuck in the popularity cellar. No accounting for taste, I suppose.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger Belinda said…

    I agree - among the "pop tart" set, it seems the ones with the least talent tend to gravitate to the top. (Must be the gravity-defying silicone!). A shame that even the ones with talent seem to feel the need to tart themselves up...

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger Valerie (grvlgal) said…

    Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that Christina at least has talent when compared to her comrade-in-scantily-clad-videos.

    I think its a shame that either of them think they have to sell their bodies to sell albums. And equally disappointed that they probably do.

    The only good cover I have ever enjoyed of "I Love Rock & Roll" is by the local Renaissance band, "The Lost Boys", who turned it into "I Love Oxen Roll" as part of a medley of 80's rock songs turned Renaissance.

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Not me said…

    Welcome to the world of blogging!

    I agree with you about Britney!

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger Cat said…

    Great blog Kirsten. Looks like you and I can be newbies to the world of blogging together!

    I agree with you about Britney!

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger Nicole said…

    IMO Britney has no talent whatsoever. Unforunately in the age of technology its possible to make anyone sound good.
    And welcome to the blogging community!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home