Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Vacation? What vacation? (Day two)

Yesterday afternoon, Andy and I hopped into the Saturn to go run some errands. I turn the key. Nothing. Hmmmm, it worked this morning. Try again. Nope, still nothing. Very odd. We chalk it up to a dead battery and take the Honda. While we're out, I pick up some jumper cables.

This morning, having failed to jump start the car, we call AAA. They send a huge tow truck--the kind designed to carry the disabled car on the bed of the truck, not towed behind. The thing can't even get up our driveway, but it doesn't matter b/c the transmission is locked in park, so we can't get the car out of the garage.

An hour later, a second truck arrives and manages to get the car out of the garage and in tow. We find a puddle of battery acid on the floor of the garage. Hmmm. Off they go to the Saturn dealership. We have lunch and the kids and I take naps. Saturn calls--dead battery caused by severed battery cable. How did we sever a battery cable??? "Oh, it just happens sometimes."

Anyway, we're all fixed up now, but the day is shot. Not that we had anything major planned, but it was still kind of a bummer to be dealing with the car for most of the day.

At this point, we're pretty frustrated with Saturn. It's not that it's a bad car, we've just had a bunch of problems that aren't Saturn's fault--punctured tires, I knocked of the side mirror, stuff like that. But, there have been other problems. The service folks have a tendency to make mistakes (including one that left us--kids included--stranded on the side of the road at 10:00 pm with gasoline leaking out of the engine), and the electrical system is quite delicate (the repair to the side mirror caused a short in the system for the power locks, for example).

We got the Saturn in late 2001 because we were concerned that our 1991 Honda was on its last legs, and we wanted to be sure to have a reliable car on hand. Our plan was to keep the Honda until it died and then replace it. Altogether, the Honda has been far more reliable over the last several years than the Saturn, and if I had to make the choice today, I'd dump the Saturn and keep the Honda.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:38 AM, Blogger Not me said…

    I haven't had a Saturn, but having had numerous problems with domestic cars, and no problems with the Toyotas that we have owned, we're sticking with Toyota.

    Sorry that you had to waste all day with car problems!

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    I totally know what you are going through. My first car that I bought in college was a Saturn coupe, and while overall it was a reliable car, it wasn't what I really wanted. I wanted an Accord but couldn't afford one. Over the next three years, I had numerous problems with the Saturn that weren't necessarily their fault but that were still annoying. The last one was when the car wouldn't start and we couldn't get it to jump. (Sound familiar?) We had it towed to Sears, and it turns out that the clutch had a SWITCH on it that wore out, preventing the car from starting, and the only place that knew about it was the Saturn dealership. That was two days of wasted time because of that. I think I traded my Saturn in for my Accord about six months later, and voila, our Accord will be paid off next month with no greater problems on it than regular maintenance, brakes and tires. We love our Honda.

    Anyway, just thought I'd share...so you knew you weren't alone! Hope the rest of your week goes better.

     
  • At 11:33 PM, Blogger Cat said…

    I'm sorry your day was shot because of the car problem. That is SO frustrating. Tomorrow *has* to better, right?

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger KeplerNiko said…

    Get a Volvo! Those things last forever!

    (And Greenville needs more of them riding around!)

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home