Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Monday, November 29, 2004

When the going gets tough

The tough color their hair. After working most of Thanksgiving weekend (and being followed around by a very clingy four-year-old when I wasn't working), I threw caution to the winds and went from light brown with highlights to brunette, baby. Yep. I'm now "Roasted Chestnut", or rather, my hair is.

I can't remember exactly when I became dissatisfied with my hair color, but I'm guessing it was around the time my mom got me a subscription to "Seventeen". The girls in that magazine were a lot of things I wasn't--thin, popular, pretty--but the thing I really noticed was the hair. Be it blond, black, brown, or red, they all had hair of a definite color. My hair, in contrast, could charitably be described as "nondescript." Since I wasn't at the time much given to being charitable toward myself, I most often called it "mousy" or "dishwater."

My first adventure into hair color alteration was with my friend Emily. One summer, we decided that we simply had to die our bangs blond to look like John Taylor of Duran Duran. The logic of this decision escapes me now, but at the time, I assure you, it was quite compelling. Anyway, we loaded ourselves up with peroxide and sat outside for hours to achieve the desired effect. Poor Emily. No one much noticed it on me--home-do peroxide doesn't stand out much on dishwater blond--but she had dark brown hair and ended up with shockingly orange-blond bangs. And she was a cheerleader, so everyone noticed it. It took her years to live it down.

I next ventured down the primrose path of follicular color enhancement when I was a senior in college. My roommate and I were somewhat at loose ends between finals and graduation. One evening, aided by the inspiration of a couple of beers, Kelly decided that her naturally blond locks were looking a bit bland and needed some punching up. Several hours (and a few more beers) later, Kelly and I were both very, very blond.

You may be wondering why I decided to go along with Kelly on this little adventure. Did I mention the beers? Also, I had to know if I could have more fun as a blond. Kelly was blond, and she had lots of fun--guys were generally falling all over her. Me? Not so much. I knew at the time that there were lots of reasons for this *other* than hair color--Kelly was (and is) quite pretty and more socially adept than I, not to mention a better dancer. Nevertheless, a change in hair color certainly couldn't *hurt*, now could it? And indeed, it did not hurt, although it didn't help much, either.

I remained a self-made blond through most of my first year of law school. In late spring, though, I went auburn while in a fit of pique over the vicissitudes of the parole evidence rule. From bright blond to dark red in 1/2 an hour--feel the rush, fearles readers. Even more fun was the reaction from my friends and classmates the next morning, some of whom did a cartoon-style double-take when I said good morning. Heh.

I've been coloring my hair more or less regularly ever since then. Sometimes, it's a response to stress. Some people eat chocolate, I color my hair. Your point was ...? More often, though, I just do it to give myself a little lift when my beauty routine has gone a bit stale. I'll find myself looking at my nondescript (see? I'm charitable now) tresses and thinking, "that's just not me." Nope. I am a person with hair of a definite *color*, which (today, anyway) is Roasted Chestnut.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:24 AM, Blogger Erica said…

    Funny stories about the hair...especially the Duran Duran quest! I bet your hair looks fabulous!

     
  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger Valerie (grvlgal) said…

    Bet it looks great! Can't wait to see a pic or see it in person! I think dark brown/brunette hair really makes a persons eyes stand out. (enjoyed your history of hair, too! *G*)

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Blogger Cat said…

    It sounds fabulous! I'd love to see a picture! :)

     
  • At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey this is Cassandra from south carolina! Just wanted to say thanks for the card and I hope I run into you sometime at Panda's Crossing or A Stitch in Time if you go to either of those cross stitch stores :)

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home