Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Ewww!

I never realized how filthy my house was until I started to do some serious cleaning.

It's not that we're slobs. To the contrary, we pick up after ourselves (and the kids, although Andy's getting better about that), and we clean on a weekly basis--vacuum, mop floors, bathrooms, scrub sinks, etc. I occasionally even dust. I always thought that was sufficient. Until yesterday.

You see, we're having a passel of people over to watch the Superbowl next Sunday. So, I decided that before all those people use the downstairs bathroom, I will clean the nasty baseboard (it's also the cats' bathroom, so there is cat hair everywhere). Some Murphy's Oil soap, a sponge, and an old toothbrush do the trick. At the end of the baseboard is the door, so I figure I'll give it a quick wipe to get the dust off. Umm, no. It took a good bit longer than that, but that sucker is clean now, inside and out. Then there's the adjacent wall, which of course is filthy because it's directly behind Owen's high chair. As I said before, ewww.

To make a long story short, I'd advise against getting within 6 inches of your kitchen walls unless you want to get yourself involved in a very intensive cleaning project, which you will feel compelled to do, but which no one will notice because no one else is going to be looking that closely at your walls. But, at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing they *could* look that closely.

Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go steam clean the carpet ...

1 Comments:

  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger Valerie (grvlgal) said…

    You sound so much like me! Once I start *really* cleaning, I clean things that no one else cares about just so *I* can know its clean. It feels good, doesn't it?

    And thanks for the tip about Burt's Bee products. Let me know if there was any product in particular you found helpful.

    BTW, we want to hear how the race went!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home