Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Hmph.

Lawyers bug me sometimes, and this is true notwithstanding the fact that I am one. I'm sitting here preparing a case for argument next month, and I've just spent an enormous amount of time researching a question of state law that (a) is central to the case on appeal, and (b) should darn well have been researched and presented by the lawyers. Silly me, expecting them to do their jobs and protect their clients. I can just see the party's lawyers kicking back at the end of the day. "Hey, do you think I ought to do some research to back up my claim that this term means what I say it does?" "Nah, it's too much work and we'll have to pay for the Westlaw time. Let's go get a beer." Thanks, guys.

As you may be able to tell, I'm a wee bit cranky this afternoon. It's been a long week--the Supremes decided a big case last week, and we've been spending most of our time dealing with it. As a consequence, I don't really have time to do the litigants' work for them. I *never* have that kind of time, actually, but this week it is in particularly short supply. But of course, I can't go to the judge and say, "these guys should lose because their lawyers pissed me off." (Well, I suppose I could, but I don't think it would go over well.)

Okay, that's my grumble for the day. Y'all go on about your business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home