Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The eye of the storm...

If it's February, it must be time for a blowup on the stitching boards. Ugh. We had a mini-blowup yesterday, complete with a swan-song (you know, "everybody hates me, nobody likes me, I'm not posting here anymore so pbbbbbt!"). My knee-jerk response to those kinds of posts is, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out." If there's one thing I can't stand, it's self-pity. Get off the cross, we need the wood.

So anyway, after yesterday's little brou-haha, it's been quiet.... too quiet, if you ask me. A storm's brewing, and it ain't gonna be pretty. I predict lost tempers, hurt feelings, a banning or two, and much hate mail. Oh, joy.

I'm not going to wax poetic about why people act this way in internet bulletin boards. Frankly, it's not that interesting a topic to me. From my experience, people behave on the internet the same as they behave in real life, only more so. If you're prone to lecturing others, a bulletin board gives you a perfect soapbox. If you prefer rational discussion without name calling, you'll probably get very, very lonely at times, when everyone else has gotten all passionate and irrational.

I've actually found my various BBs a wonderful place to practice self-restraint. I can't tell you how many times I've had my finger on the posting button of a particularly snappish post, only to pull it back at the last minute. Let me tell you, it's really hard not to be snappish sometimes with people who are being utterly stupid--especially when they're not normally that way.

Well! So much for not waxing poetic. Back to moderator duties and the coming storm.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:28 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    What is it about winter that makes people psychotic? Cabin fever, I suppose. Here's hoping the predicted explosion isn't too bad. {{{hugs}}}

     
  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    I've been puzzling over this a lot (too much) and have come to the conclusion that some folks are just unbalanced. That's the only explanation that makes sense.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home