Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Friday, February 04, 2005

Zzzzzzz.

If you want a blog entry today, you're going to have to look elsewhere. It's not my fault, really. It's Owen. As is his way, he decided that 3:30 a.m. was "snuggle with mommy" time. So, I spent the remainder of the night with him on the couch in the living room. You see, Owen doesn't just go back to sleep like normal toddlers. Oh, no. There are rules, people.

Rule #1: snuggling will only take place on the couch.

Rule #2: Owen must have a sippy cup full of juice during snuggle time. If some of it leaks and gets Mommy wet, so much the better. Cold mommies snuggle more tightly.

Rule #3: Owen must also have at least one (1) railroad car, preferably Thomas, and at least one (1) lovey, preferably the puppy dog. If these items are not present, Owen will scream until they are obtained.

Rule #4: There will be no coverings or bedclothes of any kind. If Owen catches Mommy trying to put an afghan on her poor freezing feet, he will scream until it is removed.

Rule #5: The remainder of the night will be spent on the couch. Do not attempt to (a) put Owen back in his crib or (b) leave him on the couch after he has fallen asleep. Failure to comply will result in screaming until the status quo ante is restored. A refill of the juice may be required to achieve detente.

Rule #6: Owen may or may not go back to sleep. Even if he does, he will squirm and wiggle regularly. Owen will take no responsibility for the lack of sleep this causes to Mommy. If Mommy wanted sleep, she had no business becoming a mommy in the first place.

I've figured out his plan, though. He wants me to be so exhausted that I make a horrific mistake at work and get myself fired. Then he will have me all to himself. He's does not seem particularly interested in the potential disadvantages inherent in this plan, not the least of which is the fact that if our couch is repossessed, there won't be any place to snuggle.

It's a darn good thing he's about the cutest little kid ever. Otherwise, I might have to sell him to the gypsies.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger Valerie (grvlgal) said…

    Awwww, poor momma. In 10 years, you'll miss it, believe it or not. And working at a Ren Fest, I can probably hook you up with some gypsies if you ever decide to go that route. *G*

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger Patti said…

    Or. You could say "no, go back to sleep," let him cry 5 min, remind him you love him, rub his back, leave, let him cry 5 min, and so on. It'll take 3-4 nights but he'll have learned to put himself back to sleep, which for both of you is a priceless thing. Gotta be a bit of a Ferber fan though. ymmv and then again, why should you be open to my opinion?

    And personally, if my feet are cold at 3-friggin' a.m., and I need an afghan over 'em, Kate and whoever else is in the room with an opinion is just gonna have to lump it 'cuz I'm having it! I refuse to subsume who I am to who my dd is or will be, because one of these days she's not going to need me too much at all, and then where will I be??

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Blogger Cat said…

    I remember those days well.... and Val's right... you will miss them. However, it will take several years before that actually happens. ;)

    I hope you have a wonderful and restful weekend!

     
  • At 1:51 AM, Blogger Erin said…

    ROTFL! Sorry, Kirsten, I just figured I'd better laugh now, as this probably won't be funny in, oh, about 2 years. :)

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "If Mommy wanted sleep, she had no business becoming a mommy in the first place." I TOTALLY AGREE!!! What was I thinking??? I try and sleep in my bed, and kids wedge in around me. They don't care they have perfectly good beds... that want mine! ;)

    -Summer

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home