Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Gridlock

I started gridding the fabric for ATC last night. I'm stitching it on a 32 count silkweaver solo, kind of a steel blue color with some flashes of white. It looks very much like a stormy sky, and so it should be pretty cool with the design. If I had a digital camera, I'd show you a picture.

As I've been stitching my BAP, I've discovered that it's so worth it to take the time to (a) grid, and (b) make a working copy and highlight the color you're working on. Even though it takes me forever to finish a project, I love being able to stitch all of a given color in one swoop--not only is it like a mini-finish, it also makes the project look more complete because there is stitching all over it, instead of just in one little corner.

At the moment, I'm totally overwhelmed by the idea of learning to knit. There is just so much stuff involved. I mean, the needles (single point, double point, circular, bamboo, other woods, aluminum, etc.), and yarn (batch dyed, hand dyed, wool, merino, acrylic, cotton, mohair, alpaca, boucle, eyelash, etc., etc.) alone are enough to send me screaming for the hills. I don't know how I'm ever going to figure all this stuff out. But, one of these days (probably during the next court week), I will haul myself down to the local yarn store, where there is a kind grandmotherly lady who will sit me down and teach me how to knit a sweet little baby sweater for my upcoming nephew. And thus will a new addiction be born.

Speaking of addictions, I've decided that punchneedle isn't my thing, so I have a set of the really good punchneedles (1, 3, and 6 strand--the ones made by the Russian monks) that I'm looking to unload. They retail for $42; if you're interested, make me an offer. Otherwise I'll put them on Ebay next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home