Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

If you say so...

So, I was talking with my parents last night, and my mom asked what I was doing to prepare for Pascha other than "fasting like a crazy person." (Well, she didn’t say the crazy person part, but it was implied.) (N.B.--Eastern Orthodox Christians will celebrate Easter, which we call Pascha (a Greek derivation of "passover") on May 1.) I’m not terribly comfortable talking religion with my parents, who are about as nonreligious as it gets. So, I just briefly mentioned that I had spent some time preparing for confession and that I hoped to be able to take a shift of the vigil at the tomb, which we do overnight on Friday-Saturday. My dad said, "Wow, you’re really getting into this thing, aren’t you?"

It’s 12 hours later, and I still have no idea how to respond to that. On the one hand, I respect my dad and I understand that he comes from a completely different place than I do as far as religion goes, so a sarcastic response like "Yeah, I’m kind of keen on my eternal salvation" would not be appropriate. On the other hand, I simply could not bring myself to try to explain to him what it has been like to come home to the Orthodox church. How can I explain to him the beauty and peace of the Divine Liturgy, the awesome challenge and grace of learning to live my life as a sacrament to God? It can’t be done. I think I just mumbled something like, "Yeah, it’s pretty cool" and changed the subject.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:15 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    Assuming you're not going to try to start a "conversation" about religion and you just want to respond to his comment, then I think your answer is perfectly valid. "Yes, I'm really enjoying it" or something similar is just fine. Just don't mumble next time. Say it pleasantly and firmly. It's not something to be ashamed of. :)

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home