Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Friday, April 08, 2005

Things I learned this week.

1. Heaven is "near the beach." So sayeth Andy, who apparently is in the know on these things. He told me at length this morning about how he and God used to play with the crabs at the beach (because they were "nice crabs").

2. A kid's imagination is a wonderful and beautiful thing (see item #1).

3. It is perilously easy to go from catatonic to overcaffeinated. I learned this yesterday. After spending most of the day in a stupor, downing one form after another of liquidated caffeine, a caramel soy latte finally pushed me over the edge. So basically, I spent 3/4 of my work day being useless because I was so sleepy, and the other 1/4 being useless because I was so hyper.

4. Plastic drinking straws can be used to prop up floppy green bean seedlings. This is one of those times when I really, really wish I had a digital camera, because you can't truly understand this unless you see it. I planted the second crop of green bean seedlings on Sunday (the first crop having been done in by a late frost), and they immediately began to flop over near the top; i.e., their stems were breaking. Broken stems = no water getting to the leaves => dead green beans. So, I decided to try propping up the broken stems. And, I found the best way to do this was to cut a drinking straw in half lengthwise and wrap it around the stem, thus holding it upright and allowing water to get through to the leaves. So now, each of my green beans has a neon colored drinking straw wrapped around it, and they are growing quite happily.

5. The presanctified liturgy is a really, really beautiful service. I didn't notice this the last time I went, because I brought Andy with me, and he made mischief the entire time.

6. Owen looks really, really cute with his hair cut short. This is not new to me, really, but I don't think I've mentioned it here. Again, the need for a digital camera is evident.

7. Ummmm.... there is no #7. I've been sitting here trying to think of it, and periodically dozing off, for 10 minutes now. I think it's safe to say that my brain is, at least temporarily, empty. (No comments from the peanut gallery on that one, thank-you-very-much.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home