Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Um, yeah.

I took an online quiz yesterday to find out which "hit 2004 song" I was. I don't generally listen to popular music, (although I am not as adamant on this score as Chuck, who takes a dim view of anything recorded after 1978) so I figured the results would be interesting. Sure enough, I am a song that I've never heard, by a band that I've never heard of. As best I can tell, it was some kind of indie rock thing.

I've decided that I'm going to run a 1/2 marathon--because, you know, I don't have enough to do. It's not until October 30, so I have plenty of time to sit around on my butt train between now and then. (Like the overstrike effect? I stole it from the Yarn Harlot, who uses it to great effect. Theft Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.) I'm hoping to run it in 118 minutes, which is a 9 minute mile for 13.1 miles. For perspective, if I wanted to qualify for the Boston Marathon at my age, I'd have to run 26.2 miles at 8:35 per mile. (The perspective being, of course, that I am really, really slow.).

In stitching news, I'm working away on the 63-square afghan. I worked on square #7, alternate puff stitch, last night. I was doing great until I realized that the thing was freakishly large. In an effort not to have my gauge too tight (the mistake I made with the first go-round on the trinity stitch), I made my stitching too loose. Waaaaay too loose, as in the finished square without the edging would be roughly the same size as the squares I've completed with the edging. So I guess I'll be redoing that one.

In the meantime, thanks to the Harlot, I am starting to get a hankering for learning to knit. I've learned about this stuff called "self-patterning sock yarn"--you cast it on and knit with it, and it makes cool stripes and stuff without you even trying. How cool is that? Knitting socks involves three needles, though. I'm not so sure about that. Plus, there are the bajillion other projects that I want/need to work on. In addition to Andy's blanket (the 63-square thingie), I've got a new nephew being born this summer, and a couple of friends are having babies. I feel morally obligated to make handmade gifts for each of these little people. And, I really, really want to stitch this for Andy, who loves dragons. I have the coolest fabric to stitch it on--a hand-dyed blue and white jobbie. And, of course, there's this big-a$$ project I'm working on for myself. And whenever my friend Kelly sets a date for her wedding, I'll want to finish up the wedding sampler I'm making for her. So, I should be ready to learn to knit in about .... 15 years.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well Kir, you'd better get stitching then! :)


    Summer

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home