Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Oh, the shame.

I've succumbed to a "reality" show. After years of boundless contempt for the things--a contempt that I cling to, even now, in my degradation--I have decided to actually follow one of them. The show in question is "Hell's Kitchen", on that wonderful network FOX. I have to watch it. I'm a foodie, for one thing, and for another I've been interested in the inner workings of a restaurant kitchen (and the totally abstract question of whether I could survive in one) since I read >Kitchen Confidential.

Like all reality shows, HK is totally unrealistic, although I don't know the extent to which the run-of-the-mill viewer is going to know that. The key plot element of last night's show was the grand opening of the restaurant with only two hours' notice to the prospective chefs. Of course they failed miserably, and of course nobody got served. I actually have a feeling that the entire event was staged for the benefit of the contestants, i.e., that all of the diners were actors/models. Or maybe I'm just a rampant conspiracy theorist.

I'm just back from my noontime run. I ran a total of 21 miles in May, which was only half of what I'd hoped to accomplish. There was some sickness in there (my own and the rest of the family's), but there was also a lot of pure laziness. Given the choice between a run and a nap at 2:00 on a Saturday afternoon, I'm going to choose the nap. St. Ephraim used to pray for deliverance from "unnecessary rest." That's all well and good, but most of the time a nap seems keenly necessary.

Oh, and I started knitting a brontosaurus. I had to. Could you say no to this face?

2 Comments:

  • At 5:45 PM, Anonymous beleageured ghubby said…

    and it's justa happy coincidence that the show eats into the hirst half or wwe raw...

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger pattiblaine said…

    Nope. Couldn't say no either. :) Enjoy knitting the bronto!

    And, no sacrilege intended, St. Ephraim sounds like a bit of a nut job. No unnecessary rest indeed. What an oxymoron that is!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home