Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Friday, May 27, 2005

Uh-oh.

The time has come to start planning Andy's fifth birthday party. Those of you who have seen me in party-planning mode know that it's not always pretty. I've gotten better (or maybe just more tired) over the years, but I still have a tendency to get carried away (like when I actually considered hand stenciling the tablecloths for Andy's first birthday party).

I can't believe Andy is going to be five. In some ways, he's still such a little kid ("Tell me a story, Mommy! With a whale in it!"), and in other ways he's getting to be quite grown up ("The whale has to have a cool name: Steve."). I'm not one of those moms who gets all weepy and sentimental about the passage of time (well, maybe a little, sometimes). Mostly, I love the fact that as the boys get older, we can *do* more stuff. We can take them to places, like the downtown farmer's market orFreedom Weekend Aloft (both of which we happen to be doing this weekend). They play independently a lot more, which has allowed me to actually accomplish a thing or two in my garden. With any luck, by the end of the summer I'll be able to turn the diaper bag into a knitting project bag (bwa-ha-ha). There may actually come a day when one of us going out (usually me) does not mean disaster and frustration for the one who stays home (usually Chuck).

So anyway, we're planning the party. It's going to be a pool party, and evidently we are inviting almost every person Andy has ever met. Or maybe it's just most of the kids at his school. Either way, it's a fairly overwhelming number of people. The nice thing about having it at the community pool is that the entertainment is built in, and we don't have to clean the house. On the other hand, we're totally hosed if it rains. In either event, there will be pizza, cake and goodie bags galore. Wanna come? There's always room for a few more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home