Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Helloooooooo!

Look who we found at the bookstore last night:

A cute little hippo guy. He was found wandering, bereft, in a basket of clearance-priced beanie babies, and we simply had to rescue him. Cute little hippo guys do not belong amongst pink striped "tigers". It's just not right, for a variety of ecological and chromatic reasons. So naturally we brought him home.

Here he is getting to know the rest of the hippo population chez Small:

We think he will get along well with the other hippos. (Well, except for the gold-tone one Mom sent me for my birthday. But that one’s kind of snooty in general, being gold and all.)

And here, just in case you were wondering, is what Andy’s feet look like:

This is what happens when you let your almost-five-year-old have your digital camera for more than 30 seconds. There is also a picture of the shoes on the mat by the door, but trust me when I tell you that this picture is even less inspiring than the picture of Andy’s feet.

Poor Andy. His birthday party is Saturday, and he’s so excited about it, but I don’t think many kids are going to come. In addition to the ones that are out of town (a problem we had tried to avoid by scheduling the party *before* the July 4 weekend), it turns out that there are two other birthday parties this Saturday, and Andy’s is the one in the middle. Only about 1/3 of the guest list has bothered to RSVP (you people are rude, rude, rude, and I am very. annoyed. at you.), so we have no idea who else might be coming.

And, of course, there’s the fact that he wasn’t invited to either of the other birthday parties. One of the kids is an older boy, so I’m not surprised Andy wasn’t invited to that one. The other, I don’t know. Either way, I’m upset because I think Andy is going to get crushed on Saturday. Every maternal fiber in my being (turns out there are a lot of them, by the way), wants to scream at the world for daring to hurt my precious little boy. Life shouldn’t be like this, not at five years old.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Judy said…

    I hear you an the birthday party! My 2 were born on New Year's Eve and June 1 respectively ... neither one EVER had a birthday party with much attendance. We gave up pretty early and had family parties or small sleepovers.

    Nice to see another Greenville-area knitter! I'm in Lyman. My email address is on my blog, drop me a line.
    Judy

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home