Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Monday, June 20, 2005

I have just sent my first letter to my congressman. I really can't believe that I'm 36 and I'm just getting around to this, but there you are. I am sufficiently incensed about the proposed funding cuts to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting that I decided to have my say. So I've sent off my letter to my Rep. (whose vote I will be checking, trust me), and I'm saving it so that I can modify it to send to my senators if (hopefully not when) the time comes.

If you or your kids watch any programming on PBS, or if you listen to NPR, please consider doing what you can to oppose the cuts. The CPB receives 15% of its budget from the federal gov't, and the CPB passes its funds to local PBS and NPR stations. According to the plan approved by a House subcommitte this week, this funding (which had previously been approved) will be cut by 25 percent this year and will be eliminated altogether within two years. Can CPB make up the funds through additional donations? Maybe so, but why should it have to? Publicly funded television and radio is a good idea, and it's good for the country. For the educational programming alone, it's worth a paltry $400 million (okay. $400M is not paltry to the average American, but when you're talking about a trillion dollar federal budget, it is.)

Seriously, go do something. If nothing else, add your name to the petition at moveon.org. (I know several people, my husband included, who are going to be shocked at me linking to moveon on my blog. That should indicate to you how much I care about this.)

1 Comments:

  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger pattiblaine said…

    Kirsten, thank you for the MoveOn.org link. You never cease to amaze me. :)

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home