Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Misc. stuff...

My first completed knitting object: My mom's chemo cap.

This will teach me to take pictures indoors, instead of in natural light. Believe it or not, the cap is a lovely, cool green, not grayish pink (or pinkish gray, depending on your monitor). It is not as ugly and hopeless as the picture makes it appear. In any event, it is on its way to my mom (who starts chemo today), along with another cap much more capably knit by the inestimable Patti.

I've also finished the never-ending baby blanket, and none too soon. The lucky recipient arrived in the world yesterday. Pics (of the blanket, if not the baby) soon.

And, believe it or not, there is some stitching going on.

This is what I've gotten done so far on Teresa Wentzler's "Above the Clouds." Again, it's a pretty cruddy picture, but you can see the mottled look of the fabric, which is going to be really cool when it's all done. I'll post more pics as the work progresses.

I'm reading a fascinating book right now: No Idle Hands: The Social History of American Knitting, by Anne McDonald. Seriously, this book is a must-read for American women who knit. Did you know that knitting was a form of protest from way, way, waaaaaay before Knitters Against Bush? True fact, my friend. But you have to read the book to learn more about it, hahaha. If you liked Debbie Stoller's introducton to Stitch & Bitch, you'll probably enjoy McDonald's book.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi
    My name is Kirsten.
    I think we have more in common than that, so I'll start reading your blog.

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger pattiblaine said…

    I'm reading that book! lol And I had no idea you knew about Knitters Against Bush. I don't know which of those two coincidences I'm more amazed by, Kirsten. :)

    Thanks for the nod, and my thoughts are with your mom.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home