Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Monday, June 13, 2005

A new project.

Yes, another one. But it's not what you think. I went to A.C. Moore yesterday and got some lovely pima cotton and some dpn's. I'm going to make a chemo cap. For my mom.

This weekend, my mom told me she has inflammatory breast cancer. IBC is a particularly nasty form of this disease. It grows in sheets, so it's rarely detected by routine mammograms (indeed, my mom had her most recent routine mammogram in, I think, February). One day you wake up with a lump in your breast that wasn't there the day before, and congratulations! You have stage IV cancer. You now have a 40 percent chance of living to see your eldest grandson's 10th birthday. Have a nice day, ma'am.

Forty. F'ing. Percent.

On the brighter side, there is a fairly decent chance that my mom will be one of the lucky ones. All the tests she's had indicate that the cancer has not spread (other than to two of her lymph nodes, which is pretty routine with IBC), and this form of cancer responds quite well to chemotherapy. So she'll have 5-6 months of chemotherapy (does that seem like a really long time to anyone other than me?), then surgery, then radiation to kill whatever's left.

There isn't really much I can do for her at this point, other than pray and make sure her soon-to-be-bald head is as styling as I can make it. I plan to make her a pretty cool collection of caps (including, possibly, a hallowig) . If anyone has a good source for really soft, 100% cotton yarn (she can't wear anything other than cotton b/c of allergies), please let me know.

9 Comments:

  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Thermalgal said…

    I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I'll be praying for her.

    Have you seen the Knitty special for Breast Cancer Awareness Month?

    http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTsurpriseintro.html

    Shedir is a neat chemo cap. It is made with Rowan Calmer.

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Blogger pattiblaine said…

    (((Kirsten))) That's a very long time for chemo.

    I don't know a good source for soft cotton, alas. I've got a few very soft caps knit up here but they're all done in 100% tactel (polyamid). If you think there's a chance she could tolerate it, please let me send you one with my best good thoughts.

    I'll hold her in my prayers, too.

     
  • At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so sorry... ((((hugs))))

    Summer

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger Jill in CA said…

    (((((Kirsten)))))). I am so sorry to hear about your mom. She will be in my prayers, along with the rest of your family.

     
  • At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Melissa said…

    ((((((Kirsten))))))

    I am so sorry; your mom is in my prayers.

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    {{{kirsten and your mom}}} So sorry to read this. I'm praying for you guys and may your mom beat the odds!

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Matrona said…

    Hey Kirsten... I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'll pray for your mom. I don't know where to find that kind of yarn, but here's a couple websites with some ready-made hats and scarves if they help at all:

    http://www.headcovers.com

    http://www.domadesigns.com/index.htm

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Jillbear2 said…

    Kirsten,
    just saw your comment on the Wagon BB about the chemo cap. I'm so sorry. My Mom was just diagnosed with breast cancer in March, also stage four. Despite complications, the treatments are very successful, so I hope your Mom has good success and tolerates treatments well. If your Mom also wants a wig or two, I've had luck with bewstwigoutlet.com. I'll be thinking of you; hugs to you and your family.

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger Valerie (grvlgal) said…

    {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

    Sending good thoughts for your mom.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home