Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Friday, June 03, 2005

A series of [insert adjective here] events.

What a short, strange week it's been in Kirsten's world. Let's hit the highlights, shall we?

Unusual event #1: See this? It's my desk. My *clean* desk. Because I am caught up. I am never caught up. It's one of those things you can count on--the sun rises in the East, bunny rabbits are cute, and Kirsten is always just a little bit (or sometimes a lot) behind at work. Not today, baby. Today, I am caught up.

Unusual events #2a and 2b:The kids have gone to sleep with relatively little fuss the last couple of nights. Owen, in particular, has been quite mellow at bedtime the last couple of days. (Of course, he was also mellow on Tuesday night, while he was eviscerating his stuffed fish, leaving a huge pile of stuffing and styrofoam pellets for us to clean up when we discovered the fiasco at 10:30. But I digress.)

Unusual event #3:Chuck and I rented a movie ("Anchorman") on Wednesday night. We *never* rent movies, because we can never count on actually being able to watch them.

Unusual event #4:I liked "Anchorman." Okay, technically this is not an event, but me liking any movie by a SNL alum is pretty unusual. With the exception of the "cat poop" scene (don't ask), "Anchorman" is a pretty good movie, that is actually quite funny. Or maybe I was just tired and/or tipsy. Anyway, I enjoyed it.

Unfortunate events #1 & 2:I dropped two stitches in the baby blanket last night. I managed to pick them back up, but it was a little frightening at the time.

Unfortunate events #3 & 4:More mistakes in the baby blanket. See that? There are supposed to be 10 purls and 10 knits in those two blocks. Instead, there's 11 of one and 9 of the other. Oops.


Another goof (other than the blurriness of the picture)--I knit when I should have purled, or something like that.

Unusual event #5:Two wrongs (the dropped stitches) shall presently make a right. I spent some time last night looking at the mistakes described above, and despairing over the evident need to rip out an entire evening's worth of work. Then, as I was dragging myself off to bed, I had a knitting epiphany: I don't have to rip out. I can just drop stitches back to the mistakes, and pick them up correctly. Problem solved. Had I not realized that it's really not all that scary or difficult to pick up dropped stitches, this epiphany may not have happened. I know it's not much, as knitting epiphanies go. But hey, I'm still new at this.

Oh, and next Saturday is World-wide knit in public day. Get out there and knit!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger pattiblaine said…

    Thanks for the heads up about the Knit in Public day, Kirsten.

    Crochet hooks were invented for mistakes like these. Drop the stitch(es) and let it ladder down to where you want to fix it, and crochet-hook them back up. ;)

    One thing I've said more than anything else whilst teaching the 4th grade: "So you dropped your stitches. Don't freak out. Don't panic. Remain calm. All is mendable." They are of course mocking me. lol

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I loved "anchorman". You have to be in the right mood and have the right kind of humor but it has become one of my new favorite movies.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home