Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Oh, to be a frog.

In the immortal words of Matthew Broderick's charater in Biloxi Blues*, "Man it's hot. It's like Africa hot. Tarzan couldn't take this kind of hot."

No matter how long I live in the South, the six weeks between mid-July and the end of August will always kill me. The heat index has been well over 100 for the past several days--the kind of day when you walk out the door at 7:30 a.m. and think, "Cripes, it's hot." It's during these days that I think the >California red-legged frog has the right idea. The little buggers aestivate, you see, which is basically the summer version of hibernating. Clever, no? "Damn, it's hot. I think I'll go to sleep until things cool off a bit. See y'all in September." I could totally hang with that.

When it's hot like this, I cannot bring myself to go out and work in my garden, which is a shame, because the bed by the mailbox really needs some work. The zinnias I have planted there are the talk of the neighborhood (well, okay, one person complimented me on them after I gushed about how cute her new baby is). The cosmos, however, need desperately to be deadheaded. They need this every week or so, and I think it's been like three weeks since I've gotten out there. I've already decided I'm not going to plant cosmos next year--they're a wildflower, and hence cause too much work for the somewhat more formal garden that I have. It's too much work to keep them tidy.

I'm not making any bets on getting out there this weekend, however, because we are going to attempt to potty train Owen. He's started taking off his diaper whenever it gets wet or poopy, so I think it's high time. We're going with the "Thank goodness we have a steam cleaner" method, which involves letting him run around naked for several days and periodically reminding him to use the potty. I am taking Friday and Monday off to devote myself to the project full time. Wish me luck, send me positive sanity vibes. Better yet, send chocolate.



*I note for the record I have never seen Biloxie Blues. My entire knowledge of the movie consists of having viewed the trailer once upon a time. The trailer contained this quote, which has since then been kind of a running joke between me and Chuck.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Kim said…

    Hi! Stumbled across your blog from the Southern Knitting Blogs list. I'm from Greenville! Now I live in Tryon (about 20 miles north). I completely agree about the heat- too much! My daughters and I are cooped up inside recently because we can't stand the heat (or the mosquitos!).

    Glad to meet you. Hope to be reading more soon.

    Kim

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Kim said…

    PS- You HAVE to see Biloxi Blues... it has so many great one liners and Matthew Broderick is wonderful in it.

    Kim again

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger Kirsten said…

    Thanks for commenting, Kim! I love Tryon--it's so pretty up there.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home