Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

A-potty we will go....

Here I am, folks, safe and sound (and un-piddled upon). Here follows a photo essay about this weekend's potty training exploits.

Here is a picture of Plan A:

Plan A consisted of setting the timer for 20 minutes, following a naked Owen around with knitting in hand, and reminding him to go to the potty whenever the timer went off. I operated on the assurance of another mother, who said that this method worked like a charm with her son.

Owen loved being naked. The timer? Not so much. In fact, rather than running willingly to the potty when the timer went off (as I was assured he would do), he automatically said "No, Mommy!" when the timer went off.

So, we regrouped over lunch and went with Plan B:

Cool Thomas underwear, which Owen loves, and no timer. (Note the largish hand-wound hank of thread in the picture. That's how much of the bandage Owen undid. Hmph.). Chuck implemented Plan B while I applied Restorative Measure One, viz., a nice long nap.

Plan B was a success, if you define success as "complete and utter failure to obtain mission objective." By bedtime on Friday night, Owen had not peed on the potty even one time. Things were so dire that I came downstairs after putting the kids to bed to find that my teetotalling husband had, on his own initiative, prepped Restorative Measure 2:


We finally had a breakthrough on Saturday morning. Upon being informed that he would not be allowed to wear his beloved Thomas underwear until he had peed on the potty (because, after all, Thomas doesn't want to get piddled on any more than the cat did), we had our first potty training success. And things have been improving steadily since then. I wouldn't say that Owen is 100% potty trained, but he's definitely got the idea now, and he's quite proud of himself when he does pee on the potty.

Oh, and my morning glories are blooming:

I love morning glories.

8 Comments:

  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    Yay to Owen for finally getting the idea! Humph to Chuck for Restorative Measure #2 - unless there was enough for both?

    And ugh on the morning glories. They're beautiful but they're also killers - my mother's neighbor planted them along the property line and the evil things strangled her 30+ year old lilacs. We're still ripping out mg's 2 years after the neighbors moved out.

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Blogger Kirsten said…

    Restorative measure #2 was only for me--Chuck doesn't drink.

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Anonymous misunderstood hubby said…

    No humph needed -- the Mike's Hard Lemonade was just for Kir. So far, Owen has not driven me to drink, though I have been gaining weight at an alarming rate...

     
  • At 2:03 PM, Blogger Valerie (grvlgal) said…

    Awww, Kirsten. I hope you two are hanging in there through these potty training days. (and very funny look at what you guys have been going though *G*)

    {{{Hugs}}}

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Blogger pattiblaine said…

    What a lovely, lighthearted post on what I'm sure was a difficult weekend! Congratulations Owen, and parents!

    And what a beautiful morning glory! :)

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I never thought I would survive potty training Donovan but I did. Congrats to you and Owen.

    Your morning glories are beautiful. They are my favorite garden flower. I'm afraid this year I might not getting any blooms though they are growing like gang busters. Last year I had great success, this year not so much!

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Judy said…

    Congratulations to both of you, and Owen! Good psychology with the "Thomas doesn't like being tinkled on" strategy, too. It's all good from here! And hopefully the Restorative Measures won't be necessary so often, either!

    Judy in Lyman

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Darla said…

    My cousin did the "big boy pants" thing with her son, too, and was successful that way. Congrats to you both!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home