Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Monday, August 01, 2005

Score!

This is a good news, bad news kinda thing. Bad news: our favorite thrift store is closing. This is very, very bad news. We love the Sock Exchange (albeit, apparently not enough), and we will miss it.

The good news is, because they are closing they are practically giving away clothing--as much as you can fit into a plastic grocery-store bag for $10. Andy and I popped in there on Friday to scavenge see what they had, and they had just put out some winter sweaters. I looked through them and found a couple that I thought I could recycle. Cool. On a whim, I asked the owner if she had any more sweaters in the back that I could scavenge look through. Turns out, she had two more big boxes.

I came home with a number of sweaters:

They are all piled into that wagon. Owen looks like he does because he has just intuited that maybe, just possibly, the sweaters were not placed there solely for his enjoyment, and that maybe, just possibly, Mommy is not going to let him douse them with the hose.

While I will not torture you with treat you to pictures of the whole lot, there are a couple of particulars.

First:

I got that one so I could play with the different colors of yarn (Owen thought y'all needed to know that Thomas approves of this sweater). It will likely end up as some kind of afghan sqares, perhaps mitered squares or maybe I'll try some intarsia colorwork (scroll down a bit--you will know 'em when you see 'em).

This baby doesn't know it yet

but it's going to be sitcom chic. It is *exactly* the type of color I was looking for--a dark, heathery blue. Perfect.

And this last one is just drool-worthy:

That's a 50-50 wool-silk combo. Yummy. I have no idea what I'll make with it.

The rest of the sweaters (other than the couple I bought with the intention of actually wearing them, if you can imagine such a thing) will be used for various charity projects.

Here's a little of my actual, current knitting:

That's the front and back of the baby sweater. I've also finished one sleeve, and I'm about 1/3 through with the other. I'm expecting/hoping to finish it tonight while I watch the last episode of "Hell's Kitchen."

1 Comments:

  • At 8:18 PM, Blogger pattiblaine said…

    Congrats on the score! and lovely knitting on the baby sweater! :)

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home