Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Whole lotta nothin' goin' on...

Seriously, the lack of recent blog entries is not to be taken as evidence of a crisis, work-related or otherwise, in my life. I've just been cruising along since the Great Trip North--running, working, playing, stitching, knitting.

Oh. Yeah, that. It occurred to me the other night that there is not *nearly* enough stitching or knitting going on. Christmas is less than three months away. Three months, people. That's DefCon 3 in terms of gift-preparedness. No need to panic just yet, but I'm starting to feel the prickings of concern at the back of my consciousness. Here's why:

Exhibit One

I swore to myself that this sampler would be finished by 9/30, so that I would have ample time to get it framed before the wedding on Oct. 23. What you see here is my progress as of 9:00 pm Sunday evening. It is not Thursday morning. As of Tuesday morning, when I started this blog entry, I was in a bit of despair. I didn't have a verse for the darned thing, and I hated the way the cross-hatch section looked and thought I was going to have to frog an entire evening's worth of work.

Things are better now. I've concocted myself a verse (which is so incredibly cheesy that I'm not going to tell you what it is, because I'm convinced that it will miraculously become less cheesy when stitched. I am a woman of faith, I tell you.), and I have started stitching said verse. My new finishing goal is the end of next week (Friday October 9). This may involve a few late nights and a few glasses of
Two Buck Chuck, but I will persevere.

Exhibit Two:

What you see here (you may need to use your imagination, but work with me, please) are (1) a chemo cap for my mom (Bernat CottonTots, Ivory), (2) a scarf for my sister-in-law (Knitpicks Elegance, blue); (3) a scarf (with cables!) for my Dad (in some kind of Alpaca so soft that I just know that knitting is going to be delayed by numerous breaks to just pet the stuff); and (4) a wrap for my mom (in Schaeffer Yarns "Laurel", "Frieda Kahlo" colorway).

The chemo cap will probably not get done, as it turns out that Mom is nearly done with chemo and is heading toward surgery (more about that in a subsequent post). The rest of it would be manageable, were it not for ...

Exhibit 3

While we were visiting this summer, I asked my Mother-in-Law what her favorite color was, thinking I would knit her a pretty shawl or something. She immediately asked for a white afghan for Christmas.

Now, you need to understand that Mom Small has never asked me for *anything*. And the woman has been through hell and high water in her 70+ years of life. And she has this very endearing tendency to give us extravagant gifts (the latest of which was a cashmere twinset for me, God bless her). So if she wants a white afghan for Christmas, by golly she's going to have it. And I'm not making it in the stinky cheapo acrylic she recommended. No sirree, she's getting pure, winter-white merino wool.

And let's not mention the fact that I think my beautiful nieces really must have one-skein wonders because they look absolutely so cute on little girls (check the sidebar).

So you'll understand if I need to sign off now. I have a little bit of knitting to do.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger ginny said…

    Good luck on all the projects!

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger Jill in CA said…

    Good heavens, Kirsten, are you planning to sleep at all between now and Christmas?! You are very ambitious, that's for sure. Good luck!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home