Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Well, damn.

Too late now, I suppose...

You Should Get a PhD in Liberal Arts (like political science, literature, or philosophy)

You're a great thinker and a true philosopher.
You'd make a talented professor or writer.


Would you believe that I was actually going to get a Ph.D. at one point in my life? Seriously. I hated law school so much I couldn't imagine ever being a lawyer. So one day there I was, sitting in the journal office, with a grad school application spread out in front of me. The phone rings. It's the General Counsel of the U.S. Sentencing Commission--my boss from the previous summer--telling me that *his* boss (the Chair of the Commission, who also happened to be a judge on the Fourth Circuit) needed a clerk, and he wanted to recommend me, and was I interested?

No, said I. I'm going to grad school. I don't need no stinkin' clerkship.

John paused for a second and then did a very helpful thing. He said, essentially, "That's the wrong answer. I'll call you again in 24 hours and you can give me the right one." And he did, and I did, and here I am in South Carolina. And now you know a little bit of my life history, aren't you lucky?

Oh, and by the way--brining a turkey? Totally not worth the trouble. Thanks for the tips, Alton, but I'll do it my way next year.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:05 PM, Blogger pattiblaine said…

    Isn't it amazing how so much of one's life can hinge on one little decision? I for one feel lucky to know that about you! :)

     
  • At 11:20 PM, Anonymous Trish said…

    It's hilarious that I happened upon your blog serendipitously and found that someone should have a degree in just what I have a degree in already! LOL!!!

    Keep Stitching!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home