Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

99 to go....

I learned just now that it would take 101.58 cups of my current poison (brewed coffee) to kill me. Good to know.

I have to say that the first 3/4 of yesterday was really the worst day I've had in quite a while (and given the state of my life lately, that's really saying something). At 7:45 a.m. I heard a strange noise as I went through the intersection at Worley Road and Pleasantburg Drive. At 7:48 a.m. I pulled into a convenience store and discovered that (1) my tire was flat; (2) I had been driving on the rim for a good 1/4 mile, and the tire was now smoking; (3) I had forgotten my purse, in which was my cell phone and my trusty AAA card. Oh, and did I mention that it was raining? And cold?

So I called hubby, who arrived with Owen. Hubby waited for the tow truck while Owen and I proceeded to my office, where my boss was waiting for me to show up. This is never a good thing, and especially so when you have your three-year-old in tow. We go over a few things, I redo something I thought was done, and then I take Owen to preschool.

I come back to work and discover that (a) I have to redo the thing again; (b) I have a run in my nylons--a big one. So I redo the thing, and then I get a call and I have to redo it again. And while I'm redoing it I get an email from yet another person asking where the hell the thing is. To which I responded, "bite me." (Actually, I said, "It's on the way," but the meaning is the same and the recipient of my email knew it. He even sent me an apology. Nice guy, if a little too impatient.)

Later that morning, hubby and I discover that (a) he is not qualified to be a freaking bank teller (the local tech college actually offers a certification program in that!); (b) selling books requires a full-scale personality test (come on, people), and (c) handing out towels at the gym at the local university requires a degree in health sciences. So much for today's job search.

Later, we discovered that we are going to owe a ginormous amount of money for services we thought were going to be covered by someone else. Then, one of Owen's therapists--the one we really trust--tells us that she thinks we should have him screened for autism. Those of you who are familiar with the whole saga may remember that the very first person who screened Owen mentioned autism, and we pooh-poohed it on the basis that she knew nothing about Owen. Patti knows Owen, and she thinks he may be autistic. Crap.

So this is all by 3:30 yesterday. It's a good thing that I didn't have the information about death by caffeine yesterday at that time.

But then things improved. The tire, which I had been convinced was destroyed, was patched for a mere $20. My new ice cream maker arrived, as did my book on natural healing. The boys and I went for dinner and karaoke at a friend's house, and had a wonderful time. And then I got to watch "Grey's Anatomy" (we always tape it and watch it on Monday) and go to bed. And the cats didn't bug us and Owen let me sleep until 5:00 a.m. (very generous of him, don't you think?). And the sun is shining this morning.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger Jenny said…

    Yikes Kirsten, I don't envy you that day. Glad to hear things improved if only a bit. Often autistic spectrum disorders are the first thing to be ruled out - just cause they want to screen Owen for it doesn't mean he has it. I went through that with Alex when he was in K and he turned out to be a perfectly normal kid who was a bit undersocialized for his age at the time. He's well caught up now. ((hugs)) to you and your family.

     
  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger Terri said…

    Oh Kirsten :( I don't quite know what to say, but I can give you lots of hugs.

     
  • At 12:15 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    Oh, what a rotten day! I hope things are looking a little brighter now. You've been on my mind a lot lately. {{{hugs}}}

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger pattiblaine said…

    (((((Kirsten)))))

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger Judy said…

    Oh, what a day! Yesterday was just the worst kind of day for car trouble, too!!

    I had to laugh at "It's on the way" meaning "bite me." How true that is!

    Hope today is better than yesterday, at least!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home