Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Faster. Lacier. Selfisher.

Anyone who knows me knows that I love the Olympics, despite the fact that NBC can't seem to get it through their thick skull that some of us would maybe like to see an athlete or two from a country other than the United States at *some* point prior to the gold-medal round. And quit with the "up close and personal" segments. And..... wait a sec, I'm getting grumpy again. Never mind.

But anyway, it turns out that the Yarn Harlot gets as schmaltzy about the Olympics as I do, God bless her. And, just like me, she views the fortnight of the Olympics as prime knitting time. So, she has embraced the Olympic Motto (Faster, Higher, Stronger, but in Latin, which makes it cooler because of the whole "dead language" thing. You know.) and has challenged other knitters to complete the 2006 knitting olympics, during which we are supposed to challenge ourselves to knit something hard between the opening and closing ceremonies.

This is just the kind of insanity that I live for. I will be knitting Branching Out, which will be my first attempt at lace involving a pattern of more than two rows. There are multiple challenges invovled here:

(1) Speed. I knit slow, due in part to numerous interruptions during prime knitting hours ("Mommy, will you come snuggle"), and due the the fact that "prime knitting hours" actually consist of about one hour and 45 minutes between putting the kids to bed and when I collapse from exhaustion.
(2) Difficulty. I've done yarn overs and k2togs before, but this is an actual *pattern* that requires me to pay *attention*. There will be many, many lifelines. Like, every row.
(3) Selfishness.I've been knitting less than a year, but I have yet to knit anything for myself. It all goes to other people, and at the moment I am behind on several projects that I owe to others (remember the Scarf Hell thing? I'm still there.). But this one is for memememememe! Until I decide, halfway through the knitting, that someone else really deserves it more than me. So, part of the challenge will be fighting that urge.

Now, here's the reader-participation part. Since y'all were so kind to me during my recent bout of grumpiness (I'm all better now, thanks!), I think you should get to choose the color for my scarf. I'm going to knit it in Merino Style from Knit Picks. Here are the available colors. Whatcha think?

29 Comments:

  • At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Judy said…

    I like either Moss or Asparagus for the scarf. And I SO agree with you an seeing athletes from other countries! I like to see US athletes, but sometimes you'd think ours are the only ones there.

    I'm doing the Knitting Olympics too, and I'm doing the Flower Basket shawl, gulp. I have a couple of potential yarn candidates to put up on my blog for voting, so stop by tomorrow and give me your opinion, OK?

     
  • At 6:39 PM, Blogger pattiblaine said…

    Beautiful scarf pattern. I like Fog or Cornflower.

    I'm thinking of joining in... I'm not sure I can complete in 16 days the project that sprang to mind, but it wouldn't be the knitting olympics if I didn't reach this high--a dress for Kate--designed by Starmore, no less. Either that or a scarf. :)

    Glad you are feeling better Kirsten. Wish I was!

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger Rani said…

    I say Moss. And WTG! I know you can do it. :D

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger Suzanne said…

    I pick Iris!

    I'm an Olympic junkie also...although I'm not a knitter....guess I'll have to have a stitchathon instead!
    Suz(inVA)

     
  • At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Victoria said…

    Hollyberry. If it's for you, you need a colour that looks great with dark hair.

     
  • At 2:59 AM, Blogger Glenda said…

    Since "all of them" is probably out of the question, I would say Dusk very closely followed by Iris and Hollyberry (which would be smashing with a black coast!).

    And it's good to hear you're feeling better. You must have managed to get at least some sleep.

     
  • At 3:01 AM, Blogger Glenda said…

    Blah! That's coat - not coast.

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Margaret said…

    Mint! I think that would look good on you!

     
  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger WhizGidget said…

    Here are my picks:

    Strawberry and Hollyberry of the reds appeal to me. So do Storm and Iris, and Fog.

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In order -Storm, Cinnamon, Moss

    Charlie

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger Annette said…

    Dusk, Hollyberry, Cornflower or Iris catch my eye...

    I'm joining the Games as well and chose this same pattern LOL! I have Cornflower in my stash so that's what I'm using...

    Let the Games begin!

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger Tammy said…

    Iris, hollyberry and cornflower all appeal to me. All the best with the knitting!

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger Kirsten said…

    You guys are kidding about the cornflower, right? I would look like death warmed over in that.

    In any event, as of 2:45 1/18, Iris and hollyberry are in front, with five votes each.

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger Belinda said…

    So many pretty colors! I like so many of them (Dusk, Iris, Hollyberry, Cornflower, Storm etc).

    *But* since this is for you, and I really don't know what colors you like or wear, I'm going to go with neutrals: Fog, Nutmeg, or Coal, depending on how dark you prefer your clothing.

    Those are my two stitches. Wish I knew how to knit well enough to even attempt to join you, in which case I'd snag myself some of that Dusk! ;)

     
  • At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Carol said…

    I'd choose hollyberry, followed by dusk or storm.

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Sher said…

    Hollyberry or Storm.

     
  • At 4:00 PM, Blogger Nicole said…

    I like Hollyberry and then Storm.

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger Christine Doyle said…

    My votes are tied between Hollyberry and Storm. Dusk ranks a close 2nd (third?).

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    I think Dusk or Storm.

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger Haze said…

    oh wow! So many beautiful colours! Cornflower, Dusk, Storm, Hollyberry would all be beautiful, but what are you going to wear it with? Is your jacket a neutral colour? Or would you better off knitting the scarf in white to go with any colour of jacket? I'd pick according to which one I would be able to wear the most often. ;)

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Since you asked...I love the Cornflower!

    dorietk

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger KariA1 said…

    I love the Hollyberry!!

     
  • At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Stasha said…

    I'm going with Asparagus. Or Frost if your more of a blue person....

     
  • At 2:34 AM, Anonymous Melanie said…

    Mmmm. Lovely colours. I like Hollyberry, Dusk, Storm and Moss. And by the way, Australian broadcasters do the same re. the athletes, we get to see swimming, swimming, swimming, because that's what 'we' do best at. It's frustrating.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Anonymous debzee said…

    I'm going to go with Iris or Moss. Purple is an awesome color that you don't see much, but looks great on many people. And moss, well, it's green. What else is there to say? (I love green.)

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Anonymous karen1014 said…

    Go with whatever color you love the most. I'm always partial to the greens. I have too many things already on the needles to participate. Good luck!

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger Jenny said…

    I really like the cinnamon. Just enough color to not be just a drab brown, but still neutral enough to go with whatever. :) Hope you enjoy your knitting olympics.

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger Cristina said…

    hey there...i just finished "branching out" and it was sooooo much fun!! perfect first lace pattern for me. i just posted pictures. i had a little problem w/ a mis-matching cast on and bind off...so maybe you can shed some light on that when your done!

     
  • At 4:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I vote for honey or crocus. I've been wanting to do this scarf for a while. Unfortunately, I can't do it for the Olympics because I'll be moving and need to pack! What a bummer!

    I have attempted this scarf a couple of times, I've never done anything lace before. It would be hard for me to do while watching tv.

    good luck!

    marilyn

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home