Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Friday, January 06, 2006

A is for ...

And here it is, my first entry in the 2006 ABC Along:

A is for ...

Artichoke.

I've been an artichoke devotee since a tender age. My mom used to cook up whole artichokes and serve them with butter and salt. Heaven on a plate, in other words. Seriously, a whole artichoke is the ultimate in patience rewarded. You get a small bit of yumminess as you scrape the flesh off each leaf (after having dipped it in butter and a bit of salt, of course), but the real prize is the heart, waiting there for you after you've done all the fiddly work of getting to it. (there's a knitting/stitching metaphor in there somewhere, I'm sure of it).

Alas, I haven't had a whole artichoke since the last time my mother cooked one for me, lo these many years ago. Since I got an actual job, married a man who isn't a huge fan of artichokes (gasp!), and had children, artichokes have fallen into the category of Things That Are Too Damn Much Trouble. Many things fall into this category, including most gourmet meals, clothes that require hand washing, and shopping around for the best price on anything that costs less than $50. Other things fall into and out of this category--e.g., making my own pie crust, separating laundry--depending on my mood and the number of ongoing crises, domestic or otherwise. Other things have pretty much always been in this category for me, such as ironing anything that will not be seen by the public at large (underwear, sheets) or cooking beans from dried (it's why God gave us cans and the organic food industry, people).

Don't get me wrong--artichokes are still a major part of my diet. It's just that they come from a can now, and are usually all cut up and cooked for me. It's a compromise I can live with.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Judy said…

    Yeah, but canned ones aren't nearly as good. I agree with you about the Too Damn Much Trouble category...lots of things go there when you have kids, don't they?

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home