Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Scarfapalooza, vol. I

At long last, here are pictures of some of the scarves I made for various relatives for Christmas. First, here's my brother's:



The yarn is Knit Picks' Wool of the Andes in Fern, Snickerdoodle, and Wheat. The pattern is something I kind of made up on the way. I'm calling it the 3-5-7 Scarf, because the stripes are all multiples of 3, 5, and/or 7. For example, the wide stripes are, respectively, 7, 14, and 21 rows long; the narrow green stripes are 3 rows, and the wider narrow stripes are 5 rows. The big blocks of green are 50 rows. Ain't I clever? I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, even if it did mean weaving in a bajillion ends.

Here's a close-up (and rather blurry) picture of the scarf I knit for my sister-in-law:

The pattern is the Opera Scarf from Blue Sky Alpacas, knit in Knit Picks'
Elegance, in Cornflower. Lovely color, no? This was my first attempt at lace knitting, although I'm not really sure it should count because it was so easy.

My second attempt at lace knitting did not go so well. Behold, the train wreck that is the scarf I knit for my mom:

The picture isn't very good, but toward the top you can see a nice, even rectangle. The bottom 3/4? Not so nice, not so even. One might go so far as to say it's really, really dreadful ("craptastic" was the word that came to mind--repeatedly--yesterday evening).

For better knitters with more time than me, this would not be a problem. Frog it and redo--a few hours' work at the most. Not for me. I knit this thing with two balls of yarn, alternating every second row, so as to avoid flashing and pooling. It took me for-freaking-ever to knit this thing, and I am not anxious to do it again. I am mightily tempted to reknit it with one ball of yarn at a time, and see if I get flashing or pooling, rather than doing the "two balls o'yarn" thing. That would make it a travel project, and would make it much easier to get done.

Any advice or words of consolation would be welcome.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Judy said…

    Personally, I LOVE flashing and pooling...knit it over with one skein at a time and let the pools fall where they may!

     
  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger pattiblaine said…

    I love flashing and pooling too. :) I like watching it happen, watching it vary even when my tension and the number of stitches hasn't changed a smidge, and I'm never tempted to alternate balls of yarn very other row to avoid it in the least. I will alternately use two balls of yarn to hide the fact that I've bought two different dyelots though. There are some forms of craptastic (love the word!) I try to avoid...

    Have you blocked your mom's scarf, Kirsten? Could you pin it in a rectangle, and bend it to your will? just a thought... forgive me if you've already tried that twenty times.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home