Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Hanging up on the call of duty.

So.

I have this dilemma. There's this Olympic knitting thing--I have until Sunday evening to knit 8 more pattern repeats and three rows of garter stitch, then block, the scarf. In other words, I stand a substantial chance of victory in the Knitting Olympics.

But. (There's always a "but.")

I have work to do. A lot of work. While I'm working on the never-ending speech from Hell, there has been a pile of other stuff building up on the upper right corner of my desk, which is where I put stuff that I need to get to but don't have time for. Most of the projects there are ideal for out-of-office down time, like, say, during Andy's karate class or after the kids go to bed.

But.

That's also my knitting time. And while I'm ordinarily willing to give up knitting or stitching time for work when the need arises, this is not ordinary knitting, it's Olympic knitting. And let me tell you, the thought of finishing a project at a time when I can still remember starting it? That's pretty darn tempting, and it would never have happened were it not for the insanity called the Knitting Olympics. (Incidentally, did you know that there are people who are *done* with their Olympic knitting? Yes, Judy, I'm talking about you. That's just not right, girl.)

So.

I'm thinking I'll be knitting tonight. I'm thinking the pile of projects will stay where they are for another day or two while I reach for Olympic glory. I'm thinking that I will probably regret this come Monday morning, almost as much as I will regret staying up until 11:30 tonight to watch the Ladies' Women's free skate. I'll probably regret it more than that snowboarder regrets showboating and ending up with a silver medal. But a little bit o' gold can compensate for a lot of regret, don't you think?

5 Comments:

  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger Annette said…

    Go for it!

    (I'm done with the knitting, just need to do the blocking....you can do it!)

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Belinda said…

    Well, *my* opinion is that you should go for the knitting...

    ...but then I'm participating in the Knitting Olympics vicariously through you, so I am a bit biased ;)

     
  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger Kirsten said…

    No, Belinda, NO! I can't handle the pressure! The inhuman pressure!

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Judy said…

    What can I say? I hated the doggone thing so much I just wanted to get done with it. In penance, I am knitting on a Dulaan hat for the rest of the Olympics. I say leave the work, go for the knitting!

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    Hi, Kirsten! I'm also from SC. It's nice to meet other "local" folks on line.

    I finished my Olympic knitting last week. Like Judy, I didn't really like my project all that much--Clapotis--and just wanted to be done!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home