Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Stress Fracture

(or, "Why I Think Bode Miller Is a Total Wuss")

So, it amuses me to no end that NBC and various big corporations ahem-NIKE-ahem annointed Bode Miller the God of the Winter Olympics back in like, July, and now he's totally stinking up the mountain. Serves them right, I say. I'm willing to give NBC credit for a generally better job at covering a broader range of athletes this time around (as in, non-Americans and those who have no hope of a medal in a particular event), but that doesn't mean I can't give them crap for the Bode Miller thing.

I saw a headline in which Bode Miller complained about the "inhuman pressure" that he's under to ski well. To which I say: blah, blah blah. Dude, *you* signed the endorsement deal and did the interviews. If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen. And furthermore, pressure? For crying out loud, you "work" for two minutes a day, and fans aren't even allowed on the slopes during competition. And you have your spiffy little trailer to hide in between events.

All of this is by way of saying that I don't think Bode Miller would last five minutes in my life. "Inhuman pressure" is having 90 hours of work to do and only 40 hours to do it in, and never knowing when something new is going to come up and add to the workload. And a boss breathing down your neck, and colleagues who can't figure out how to press "start" on the stupid fax machine when something is stored in memory. "Inhuman pressure" is living with a three-year-old who is liable to explosions of screeching at the drop of a hat, who makes you live with constant sleep deprivation because spending the night snuggling him on the couch is the only way *anybody* is going to get any sleep. "Inhuman pressure" is worrying about your husband who is so miserable that breathing is a serious effort, and being totally unable to help him. "Inhuman pressure" is not being able to change any of these things or escape to a spiffy little trailer when it all gets to be too much. "Inhuman pressure" is wondering if this is finally the day that you're going to have a nervous breakdown, and thinking what a relief that would be because then maybe you'd get a break, but knowing that a nervous breakdown is not one of your options.

Let's see Bode navigate *that* for a day or two. "Inhuman pressure," my ass.

Edit, circa 4:00: Having cranked out 10+ pages of speech today, I am not so stressed out about work right now. Getting the speech going, plus a warm sunny day here in South Carolina, has been enough to walk me back from the edge for the time being. And I have every intention of parking my butt on the sofa and knitting tonight while I watch the ladies' women's short program. But I still think Bode Miller is a wuss.

9 Comments:

  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger pattiblaine said…

    Hear, hear! Or should I say, "Here, here!"?

    What a stellar disappointment he's been, btw.

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger Jenny said…

    ((Kirsten)) I so feel your frustration in your words. I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers for some relief of all that pressure.

    And I totally agree with you on the Bodie Miller thing! Get a grip, man!

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Belinda said…

    Amen, sister!

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Judy said…

    Seems like every Olympics the networks and advertisers pick one or two athletes for superstars. And those are always the ones that go down in flames. I know athletes aren't all that smart as a rule, but you'd think someone would catch on!

    Sorry to hear about YOUR inhuman pressure! I agree with you, Bode couldn't handle it. Hang in there, and I hope your family feels better soon (and is it too much to hope that the idiots at work might change?).

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Valerie (grvlgal) said…

    {{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

    Wouldn't it be nice if you could at least have your own trailer to hide away in for a little while each day like he does? Ahhhh, to dream.

    Hang in there, hon.

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger Susan said…

    No kidding! Some people just have no idea.

    Sounds like you could seriously use the nervous breakdown. Can you just schedule 10 minutes to have a mini breakdown?

    Sending you {{{hugs}}}

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    I totally agree on the Bode issue! (rolling eyes)

     
  • At 11:16 AM, Blogger Bellastitch said…

    ((((HUGS))))

     
  • At 2:24 AM, Blogger Stasha said…

    Remember how last summer Olympics the networks had tons of training footage on some track Golden Boy and then he didn't even make the Olympic team?
    And everyone remembers Kwan's free skate to "Fields of Gold" after her stand on the bronze spot on the podium.
    My kids are loving Shawn the Snowboarder though.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home