Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

E is for ...



Endurance.

My mom once told me that I was the most disciplined person she knew. She must not know very many people, because in my own view I am seriously lacking in the stick-to-it department.

Running is a prime example. I like running. It's good exercise, it gets me outside, it gives me time to think or to listen to NPR. Why then, can I not stick with a regular running routine for more than a month at a time? Yeah, I'm busy. Sure, there are times when it is simply not possible to get out of the office at lunchtime for a run. But one busy week should not result in two months of slacking, which is usually what happens. Anyway, I'm going to work on that.

E is also for "Employment." It looks like Chuck, who has been a stay-at-home dad for nearly three years, will be rejoining the ranks of the employed in the near future. Nothing is certain yet, and I certainly don't want to jinx his chances, so we'll leave it that we're cautiously optimistic. His mom told him that going back to work would be like getting out of prison, and I have to agree. Both kids are in school full time, which has left Chuck with a lot of time on his hands, and he's been quite miserable. Going back to work will be very, very good for him.

In knitting news, I present to you....



My first sock. Looks nice, doesn't it? Too bad it's a piece of crap. The needles I used were at least one size too big, the foot is too short (the picture doesn't show that the heel turn is located not at my heel, but about at the beginning of my arch), and the kitchener bind-off is, to put it kindly, a bit wonky.

Regardless of these failings, and the near-total unwearability of this specimen, I am quite please with myself. I learned a lot from this sock, and I plan to make another in the no-too-distant future. I'll probably make another from this yarn (Lion Brand sock yarn), with smaller needles, just to see the difference. Heck, I may even do a gauge swatch (but probably not).

Incidentally, one of the things I learned is that slip-slip-knit pisses me off. I don't know why. It's not that I can't do it, I completely can. I just have an irrational, sui generis hatred of the technique. It may have something to do with the fact that I cannot tell the difference between a SSK and a K2Tog through back loops, which I far prefer and which I intend to use henceforth unless and until someone explains to me why I should do what the pattern tells me to do.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The difference between SSK and K2Tog is the slant. I believe one is right slanting and the other is left slanting and when creating a heel (the cool triangle thing) you need to slope from both directions. I found the explanations in Stitch and Bitch by Debbie Stoller to be well written and my favourite part of the book.

    Rachel
    Raychill Canuck

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger Kirsten said…

    The slant is different for K2Tog, but not when you do it through the back loops--then it's right-slanting, just like SSK. If there is a difference, I think it must be that SSK twists the stitches somehow, but they look exactly the same to me.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Judy said…

    SSK and K2Tog through back loops are both right-slanting decreases, and there is a teensy-tiny-micro-freakin-scopic difference in the way they look. Do you think anyone is going to be looking that closely at your socks? ;-) Do the one you like better! Life's to short to hate your knitting ....

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger Jenny said…

    Good luck to your DH - hope the job possibility works out. :)

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger pattiblaine said…

    K2tog through the back twists the two stitches, ssk, sadly, does not, so it's a little less taut-looking than the former. I, peculiarly enough, like the ssk more than either form of ktog.

    That said, Congratulations on your sock! Well done, Kirsten, even if it's not perfect, you've started off on the right foot... I know. Groan. :)

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home