Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

H is for half-assed

Edit, circa 4:00 pm: My deepest apologies, dear readers. Geocities has decided that I am exceeding my data transfer limit and is denying hosting access. Hence, no pictures. Anyone who has any idea what I can do about this, please comment or email me.

It occurred to me the other day that I have a tendency to be rather slap-dash. Preparation and planning mean not doing, and when I decide I want to do something, I generally want to do it right that very second, not after I have researched and planned and organized and purchased, etc. etc. etc.

There are exceptions to this, of course--the car purchase I plan to consummate today (yay!) was quite exhaustively researched and planned. But then again, the exception proves the rule, right?

All of this is by way of introducing my garden, which is undeniably half-assed:



The tall set of poles to the left is for my green beans--nice, sturdy, appropriate. See the short white set in the middle? Those are for my peas (which are only supposed to be 18" tall, incidentally). Wanna know what the poles are? They're the stick-things that you use on miniblinds to turn the louvers. We were out of actual garden supports, and I didn't feel like running to Lowe's before planting my peas, so there you go. Half-assed pea supports.

The "layout" of the garden is similarly haphazard. Some degree of thought went into the placement of tomatoes, peas, and greenbeans, but when it came to the cucumbers and watermelons, I just made mounds of soil where there seemed to be enough space. We'll find out eventually if I was right.

For the record, this year we are growing: Tomatoes (Roma and Beefsteak), green beans (pole type), jalapenos, banana peppers, cucumbers, watermelon (sugar baby), radishes, and peas. There is garlic in the garden, but that was a winter crop and should be ready to harvest soon.

I also have some herbs growing (H is also for Herbs): Parsley, which I always have going (seriously, if you grow nothing else for yourself, grow some flat-leaf parsley); Basil (which I always grow and never use, go figure), Cilantro (which I invariably kill); and some perennial herbs, namely, lemon thyme, tarragon, and rosemary.

What? What's that, you say? You're here looking for crafting content? My bad. There is precious little knitting going on, and what knitting is happening is devoted almost exclusively to the pinwheel baby blanket that would not end. I've reached the black-hole stage--I keep going around and around, but somehow the darn thing does not grow. With any luck, though, I'll make some progress between services at church this week (it's Holy Week for me).

I'm also jonesing to do some stitching, but I never seem to have a decent-sized block of time to sit down with needle and thread. Gonna have to work on that.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Judy said…

    As the CPR instructor told me when I went for re-certification and siad I remembered about enough to give someone half-assed CPR: "Half ass is better than no ass at all!"

    However, I did hear somewhere that since the melons are related, if you plant them close together they coupld cross-pollinate and taste like each other. Which could be interesting of course...

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home