Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Irony, thy name is Owen.

We knew something was up as soon as we pulled into the Publix parking lot. There was Maggie the Mayfield Dairy Cow in all of her fiberglass glory, 15 feet high and taking up several parking spaces.

They were having some kind of event (we never did figure out whether there was a unifying theme), part of which involved the presence of the Cat in the Hat--or, more accurately, a guy dressed in a CITH suit that had seen better days.

Andy didn't freak out, but neither was he interested in making a close inspection. Owen tried to crawl back into my womb. After I convinced him he wouldn't fit, he spent most of the rest of the (mercifully brief) shopping trip huddled in the bottom of the shopping cart, evidently on the theory that if he couldn't see it, it couldn't see him.

So we get home and go on with our day. A few minutes ago, I popped my head into Andy's room to see what Owen was up to in there. He was reading The Cat in the Hat.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:26 AM, Blogger Jenn said…

    He just had to make certain that the Cat and the Things were in his book where they belong and not stranded at the Publix!

    My kids both went through similar phases where they were absolutely terrified of larger than adult sized 3D versions of their favorite book or TV characters. Eventually they grew out of it, I can't even identify a particular turning point anymore.

    Although I do wonder how the people inside the costumes must feel... seeing kids glued to their mommies in absolute horror when confronted by a Mickey Mouse or a Blue or Dora that's three times as big as they are.

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Blogger Glenda said…

    How is "Time Traveller's Wife" going? I've had it on my shelf since Christmas and have been scared to start it for some reason.

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Kirsten said…

    Haven't started it yet. Haven't even ordered it yet. My "Reading" list is really more of a "what I'm supposedly reading" list.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home