Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Going, going ...

We got Andy a two-wheel bike (with training wheels, natch) last year. He didn't ride it much last summer. It was still a bit big for him, and it's a pretty heavy bike, which made it hard for him to get up the moderate hills in our neighborhood.

And going down the hills? Pretty much scared the crap out of him. Going down even the mildest of hills was totally crazy making (for me, anyway): goSTOP! gooSTOP! goooSTOP! goSTOP! goSTOP! goooSTOP! Like that. Little old ladies in walkers cackled at us as they flew by. (You think I'm kidding.)

This year is a different story. Andy is taller (I'm a completely lame mom without a height chart, so I have no idea how much taller) and stronger. Going up hills can be a challenge, but he can handle most of them.

Going down hills? He's become a completely fearless speed-demon. On Saturday, as he biked around the neighborhood with me walking along beside behind him, we got to a long, straight, moderate slope. Without so much as a "see ya, Mommy" he was off, speeding down the hill with only an occasional tap on the brakes to control acceleration. He totally left me in the dust.

I was at once proud and wistful. Proud because Andy, who tends to be rather fearful, is becoming so much more brave and self-confident. Wistful because I know I have to let him go out into the world on his own one of these days.

On Saturday, he was waiting for me at the bottom of the hill with a huge grin on his face. I hope that part never changes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home