Things that Go BUMP in my Mind

Knitting, stitching, reading, gardening, cooking--I have no time for any of it.

Friday, May 05, 2006

That is sooooo 2005.

Since the boys are still too young to know any better, I still cut their hair myself. This happens about every six to ten weeks. The routine usually goes something like this: about 5 weeks after the last haircut, I notice that the boys are getting a bit shaggy. Over the ensuing weeks, Chuck and I have series of conversations like this:

"We need to give the boys a haircut."

"Yeah, we do. But not tonight. We're tired/they're tired/there's a game on/Mercury is in retrograde."

"Yup."

"Maybe this weekend."

"Sounds good."


Eventually we get around to it, and the cycle begins again.

The thing is, Andy starts *asking* for a haircut at about week 3. It's not that he's so fastidious about his hair--haircuts mean a bath in Mommy's tub, which is big enough for two boys, bubbles, toys, and a lot of splashing. Mommy's tub is da bomb.

So Andy started asking for a haircut last week, and I started putting him off. Yesterday morning before school, he took matters into his own hands:



I should note that every female adult person who saw Andy yesterday (me, his teachers, the moms at karate, etc.) noticed this as soon as Andy was within five feet. The male person who is in charge of getting Andy to school, and who presumably was in close contact with him for at least a portion of the morning *after* this occurred? Not so much. But I digress.

Obviously, the solution to this was a haircut (a glass of wine would have been nice, too, but I'm dieting, remember?). On any ordinary kid (say, his little brother), a 1/4" trim would have been sufficient to minimize the appearance of the bald spot while not making him look like a Marine recruit. Andy, however, has an incredibly thick head of hair. So, out came the 1/8" trimmer. And now we have this:



It's so kind of my child to provide me with blog fodder. I just wish he wouldn't repeat himself.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger Jill in CA said…

    OMG Kirsten what a funny post. Cute pics too. :)

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Judy said…

    I am laughing out loud here at work. How cute does he look with a buzz cut?? My son never, ever, EVER let me cut his hair...even at high-chair age, he would have the biggest fit imaginable, scream, wiggle, you name it. Took hours to see any results. When we took him to a real haircutter, he was nice as could be, sat very still, it was over in 5 minutes. Well worth the $10, in my opinion!!

    Save that crewcut picture, by the way, for when he gets to middle school and has loooong hair.

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    hey, it took him a full year to get around to it again... that's pretty good! Mine did it every couple months (and we WERE the kid that caused the lice scare one of those times...)

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Rani said…

    Too funny! I can't believe he did this twice! :)

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger Norma said…

    LOL. If you go through Leigh (Woolflowers)'s archives, in about September 2004, you'll find an even more dramatic haircut story about her little girl! At first when I saw your boy's pic, I thought, "Oh, what a sweet cowlick." Cowlicks run heavy in my family, and my brother's hair looked like that most of his life! :)

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Haze said…

    That is adorable!! BOTH my kids did a similar hair cut to themselves when they were little also...not so bad on DS, but DD had nearly waist length hair when she stuck the scissors in the front and chopped a good couple of inches to the scalp LOL

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home